The Game Plan

My photo
Florence, Italy
So this is a handful of what I think I know... 1. Hands speak volumes. 2. Wine is cheaper than water. 3. Life is slower paced. 4. Food is AMAZING. 5. Italian men love all women and don't hesitate to say it loudly. My adventure begins Jan 12 in Florence, Italy, as a student at SACI (Studio Art Center International) having come from American University, in Washington, DC. While our nation's capital may have a plethora of monuments and history, it's nothing compared to standing a few feet away and gazing up at David, or so I've been told. (I'll let you know.) I continue my European exploration with my twin sister when our semesters end. We plan to take our backpacks into and over as many countries and borders as possible before landing for a few weeks revisiting Madrid. I hope to use this blog as a personal journal to keep track of my travels, but feel free to read along! Al prossimo anno! :)

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Myth Busters

So the myth IS true!... I really don't think anything compares to standing in front of the David. Walking into the Accademia yesterday with my drawing class, turning the first corner of the museum, the enormous David stands astoundingly tall at the end of the corridor, below a huge overhead sunlight. He  looks perfect, so smooth, and flawless, and about 3 times bigger than I had ever imagined it.

It was extremely fortunate because my drawing class went to the Accademia for class and spent 3 hours drawing him. Though that may seem like a ridiculous amount of time for any non-drawer, having been in class for 3 weeks now, and used to drawing the same model for hours on end, sketching the David was wonderful. I contemplated posting what I drew next to the picture, but then rethought that idea.

David is a must see in Florence. Though you'll hear a constant "NO PHOTO" from the many guards, as you can see, you can definitely find loopholes around that rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment