The Game Plan

My photo
Florence, Italy
So this is a handful of what I think I know... 1. Hands speak volumes. 2. Wine is cheaper than water. 3. Life is slower paced. 4. Food is AMAZING. 5. Italian men love all women and don't hesitate to say it loudly. My adventure begins Jan 12 in Florence, Italy, as a student at SACI (Studio Art Center International) having come from American University, in Washington, DC. While our nation's capital may have a plethora of monuments and history, it's nothing compared to standing a few feet away and gazing up at David, or so I've been told. (I'll let you know.) I continue my European exploration with my twin sister when our semesters end. We plan to take our backpacks into and over as many countries and borders as possible before landing for a few weeks revisiting Madrid. I hope to use this blog as a personal journal to keep track of my travels, but feel free to read along! Al prossimo anno! :)

Saturday, February 5, 2011

San Miniato al Monte

So the whole posting everyday thing I realize is a bit too ambitious. I'll just say that I'll try my best.

To start to describe the food and how wonderful it is seems like a waste of time. I knew Italy was known for its food before I came, and to say that now that I’m here that it’s not always on my mind, I’d be lying.  Everything from the pizza to pasta, gelato and croissants, paninis and prosciutto, are some how, so much better than the same foods in America. It’s impossible to explain why they’re so delicious, other than that everything is so fresh here. The central market is absolutely wonderful. It’s only a block from my apartment and everything is extremely cheap. Stands sell fish, meat, cheese, bread, vegetables and fruit. This orange was literally the size of 2 of my fists, and growing another orange inside of it. Pizza is a huge deal and comes with just about anything you could ask for on it. It’s always a personal pan pizza, and although it is huge, it’s super thin crust. With all this said… in order to not gain 100 pounds while I’m here, and to still be able to enjoy all of the deliciousness, I found the most beautiful place to run. (see below)

San Miniato al Monte 2/4/11
Last night we walked to the Basilica of San Miniato al Monte, known as one of the most beautiful churches in all of Italy. It sits atop one of the highest points in Florence so the views are unbelievable. We got there around 5:30 which was while the sun was setting. If anyone knows me they know how much I love the sky and sunsets. It was unbelievable. There are also chanting monks every night within the Basilica, a real cool think to hear and experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment